Saturday, October 17, 2009

My Next Tattoo

I decided today what my next tattoo will be.

Since my family moved to Northern Indiana when I was 6, we would make trips to Maine frequently to visit family. We'd take our '88 Chevy Suburban and my sister and I would always get our own seat in the back to lay down and nap, read, snack, and listen to our Walkmans. Mostly...I would sleep. But Mom would wake me up after we made it through Portsmouth, New Hampshire on I-95 so I could see the Piscataqua River Bridge. As a kid, I thought the bridge was just awesome, so I would always get excited.

To this day my parents will wake me up on the trip so I can see the "big green bridge" (it was the best nickname for Piscataqua I could come up with as a kid). When I was in high school it started to lose its luster in my mind. But now, when we pass through it brings back those memories and I miss it. Mom still lets me know every time she's passing over the bridge when she goes to Maine.

It's something that reminds me of a lot. Different trips for different reasons. Family Christmases, trips to the beach, funerals, and more. Like a bridge to a different world (because my extended family really is from a different planet).

For these reasons and more than I could tell...I decided that I'm going to get a tattoo of the green bridge on my ribs. I have yet to decide what will be on each side and the background, but I'm excited to have my friend draw it up.

This is what the bridge looks like:





The second picture is the view from the car. Love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment