Thursday, November 26, 2009

Slapsgiving

On the one day a year we, as Americans, give thanks for the blessings around us I normally spend it being upset with my family's tradition. My dad, as a pastor of a small church in a small town, holds a Thanksgiving feast at the church every year.

I hate it. I get there half an hour late on purpose. Most years I eat alone, and I go home to take a nap. And I don't keep it bottled inside. My family has always known that Thanksgiving has been my least favorite holiday since we started having a feast at the church.

Although...this year was different. My sister and her boyfriend (of whom I approve) were there along with a few other people I felt comfortable around, and we sat at a table and shot the shit while eating food. Afterwards, I talked with some more people, helped to tear down the tables, and went home to take a nap. My nap this year wasn't because I was pissed off though. It was because I actually ate and spent time with people.

Then I woke up around 5 and we went to my sister's boyfriend's parents' house. I was uncertain of what to expect because I knew that he's 10 years older than I am and figured his siblings would be as well...leaving me to read my book aloof. However, once I got there, we were immediately greeted and his whole family was very pleasant. Matt (Jordan's boyfriend) is a great guy, and he's the first guy she's dated that I liked to hang out with. Also, he had a friend he teaches with there, so it made it that much easier.

At dinner, we all talked and it felt like a Desmarais family Christmas transformed. When we went around saying what we were thankful for, I said I was thankful for this Thanksgiving...and that my life is finally achieving what I've been looking for for so long.

For once, I know what it's like to have a Thanksgiving that gives you warm fuzzies. This year, I'm thankful for a family that loves me, friends that are there for me, and a life with promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment