Sunday, March 1, 2009

NAHBS - MACAFRAMA - ARTBIKE Weekend

Oh my. Where do I even begin? This weekend has left me almost speechless. I suppose I'll to a little background and get into the pictures.

This weekend was the NAHBS (North American Handmade Bike Show). People from all over the country (and world) came to Indianapolis' convention center to show off their handmade bikes, frames, apparel, etc. So of course, a lot of friends were in town and I met too many people to even begin to name.

So I'll start at the beginning and do my best to briefly explain.



That's Joe. He owns Joe's Bicycles in Fountain Square. And that's the back of his shop.



Shawn decided to ride his clown bike to critical mass, which was awesome. Critical Mass is where people who live around Indianapolis that ride bikes meet downtown and ride around to show people that we're here and we have as much right to the roads as they do.



That's about a quarter of the people who went to critical mass...if that. There were 100+ people there.



This is Gold Sprints. Those bikes are hooked up to rollers and the rollers have gauges on them that measure how many rotations the roller has made. So the riders raced to see who got to a certain number of rotations first. It was a long night of madness.



This is the group of people crammed into the room to watch Gold Sprints. The screen on the wall showed who was in the lead during the whole race, so you knew what the race was like.



Then finally I met up with the kids (16 of them) from Nashville that came into town. Pictured is Jimmy...he's awesome.



All of the Nashville kids and I stayed the night at Bryan's house. It was amazing. But that many guys and that many bikes make for cramped quarters. Luckily I staked my spot out early in Bryan's room.



Bryan decided to DJ until 5 a.m...amazing.



The next morning we rode (across the street...long ride ha) to Acapulco Joe's for food and coffee.



Nate, Bryan, and Tyler. Bryan is a good friend and lives here in Indianapolis. The other two were from Nashville. This was taken on the way to Joe's while we stopped at a convenience store.



These were all the bikes already locked up in the convention center downtown! All of the spots were taken so we all had to just lock up outside! Holy cow!



They had some AMAZING handmade bikes there...but these were my favorite.



This was only about a quarter of the people that showed up for the MACAFRAMA premiere. Macaframa is a...video/documentary of sorts about cyclists in San Francisco. If you're interested search youtube for macaframa.



After Macaframa we headed to PanAm plaza to trick around before heading to Front Page to party with DJ Metrognome.



And there's me and Dano at Front Page.

And that was my weekend! I may tell more about it later...but I need to leave (no internet at home).

Keep checking back!

1 comment: